As a distinct practice area involving experience in appellate procedure, sophisticated legal analysis, and the art of persuasive written and oral advocacy, appellate litigation is an integral part of Jones Walker's practice. Our appellate team's approach emphasizes in-depth legal research and the presentation of logically developed arguments and briefs that are compelling, concise, and direct. We brief and argue cases at all levels of state and federal court, and also prepare amicus curiae briefs on matters of concern to firm clients and prepare emergency writ applications before and during trial.
Jones Walker's Appellate Litigation practice draws attorneys from each of our substantive practice areas, including antitrust, bankruptcy, construction, environmental and toxic torts, ERISA, intellectual property, international law, maritime, products liability, professional liability, securities, telecommunications, and white collar crime. We have a depth of experience in a wide array of substantive areas and are highly qualified to handle appeals of all sizes in a cost-effective manner.
Because appellate litigation is based on a defined record, our appellate litigators work closely with trial counsel to shape legal issues and properly preserve issues for appeal. We are often called to brief and argue pre-trial motions for summary judgment, dismissal of the complaint, class certification, exclusion or admission of evidence, judgment as a matter of law, and new trial. We are frequently asked to handle appeals of matters that have been tried by other attorneys.
Many of the firm's appellate litigation attorneys are former judicial clerks of federal and state courts. Through frequent court appearances and participation in activities of the bench and organized bar, Jones Walker's appellate attorneys have earned the respect of many of the appellate judges in both the Louisiana and federal systems.
- de la Houssaye featured in a Q&A with RevCycleIntelligence.com
- de la Houssaye Interviewed by MedCity News
- Jones Walker Receives Accolades in 2015 Edition of Benchmark Litigation
- One Hundred Twenty-Nine Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015
- "The Use of Experts in Insurance Bad Faith Litigation"
- "Anti-Corruption Compliance"
- "Current Insurance Coverage Issues in Chinese Drywall Litigation"
- "Practical Guide to Ethics"
CGL Reporter, 2009
- Louisiana Appellate Practice HandbookRichard J. Tyler, chapter co-author
The Lawyers Cooperative Publishing Co., 1986–1995