For This PracticeAsset Recovery and Creditors' Rights
- Kristina M. Johnson
- R. Patrick Vance
Even during periods of economic growth, certain businesses may find themselves on the wrong side of the financial cycle. Today, the oil and gas industry is dealing with the effects of declining prices; tomorrow, another sector may find that its fortunes have changed. Likewise, proposed amendments to Chapter 11 bankruptcy laws may offer benefits to struggling businesses, but might also negatively affect lenders and investors. To maintain balance in a rapidly shifting economic, legislative and regulatory landscape, debtors, creditors, lenders and other parties need sophisticated, seasoned legal counsel.
What makes the Jones Walker Bankruptcy, Restructuring & Creditors’- Debtors’ Rights practice a go-to team?
- Our national footprint: we represent regional clients in cases across the country.
- Our experience: our team has advised clients from numerous industries in complex and traditional bankruptcies and reorganizations, and includes three members of the American College of Bankruptcy (a by-invitation-only public service organization honoring attorneys who demonstrate the highest levels of professionalism).
- Our commitment to value: we deliver sophisticated legal counsel at competitive rates.
With offices across the southeastern United States and in select cities nationwide, Jones Walker focuses on the needs of regional clients while providing effective representation in courts in key jurisdictions. Members of the team are admitted to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court, numerous U.S. courts of appeal, the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, and the U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware (where more than one third of all bankruptcy cases are filed), as well as federal and state courts across the Gulf Coast.
A number of our partners have been named among the top bankruptcy lawyers and litigators by publications such as Benchmark Litigation, The Best Lawyers in America, and Chambers USA, as well as by Euromoney, Martindale-Hubbell, and Super Lawyers. We have represented clients with interests, operations, and investments in a number of key economic sectors, including energy, financial services, hospitality, maritime, utilities, and real estate. We regularly counsel clients in Chapter 11 and other forms of bankruptcy, adversary proceedings, forbearances, judicial and non-judicial foreclosures, loan modifications and reviews, special liens, and consumer-related litigation.
At Jones Walker, we are committed to delivering the highest-quality counsel possible while meeting the legal budgets of our clients. Engagements are staffed appropriately, communications are delivered in a timely, clear manner, and we strive to work cooperatively with client staff and other inside and outside counsel.
We regularly represent the following:
- Secured and unsecured creditors
- Creditor committees
- Lessors and lessees
- Pre-petition and debtor-in-possession lenders
- Jones Walker LLP Hosts Mississippi Bankruptcy Seminar
- 50 Jones Walker Attorneys Ranked in Chambers USA 2016
- Forty-eight Jones Walker Attorneys Rank in Chambers USA 2015
- Jones Walker Attorneys Named to 2014 Mid-South Super Lawyers
- "Debtor-Creditor Issues: Mississippi Style"
- "Best Advice on Managing Client Relations"
- "Recent Developments in Bankruptcy Law"
- Moderator, "Those Who Don’t Know Their Commercial Mortgage Litigation History are Destined to Repeat It"
- "Coal Bankruptcies: Interface with Environmental Laws and Regulators"American Bankruptcy Institute, October 2016
- "Guide to Receiverships and Foreclosure"Trigild Desk Book, 5th Ed., 2016
- "The Roles, Responsibilities, and Rights of Creditors in Chapter 11 Cases: An Overview"Inside the Minds: Creditors' Rights in Chapter 11 Cases, Aspatore Books, 2016
- "Key Points When Representing Creditors in Chapter 11 Cases"Kristina M. Johnson
Aspatore Law Books, 2015