- Pauline F. Hardin
- M. Richard Schroeder
Jones Walker’s Corporate Compliance & White Collar Defense Practice Group works with clients with operations across the globe to solve complex compliance issues, handle internal and government investigations, and defend against criminal prosecutions and enforcement actions. Our deep bench of highly experienced attorneys includes both career defense attorneys and former state and federal prosecutors and regulators. With offices across the southeastern United States and Washington, D.C., our capacity and experience in high-stakes corporate and regulatory litigation and white collar defense is unmatched in the region.
Regulatory and Compliance Counseling
We routinely advise clients in a wide range of industries on the civil and criminal implications of their proposed business transactions and strategies, including international expansions, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, strategic alliances, dealings with competitors, capital raises, and business development efforts. Our team is knowledgeable across a range of subject matters, and we excel at providing on-demand counseling to support in-house staff and, when necessary, in leading investigations and implementing remedial measures. We are effective because we are efficient, responsive, and understand our clients' businesses. We are also trial attorneys and, therefore, bring a unique perspective to our counseling engagements.
Our compliance team has particular experience in the following high-risk areas:
- Anti-corruption and anti-bribery. We regularly advise clients on compliance with national and foreign anti-corruption laws, including the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), the U.K. Bribery Act, and other international anti-corruption conventions. We help clients design and implement anti-corruption compliance programs, conduct internal investigations, and respond to a growing number of government inquiries and investigations, particularly in the energy, chemical, mining, and transportation industries.
- Antitrust. Our antitrust attorneys have a track record of success working with companies you know and will answer your questions promptly without turning routine inquiries into large-scale projects. They have extensive experience structuring international and domestic transactions, joint ventures, and other collaborations in the energy, maritime, telecommunications, agricultural, and healthcare sectors, and regularly guide clients through merger clearance investigations in the United States, Europe, Asia, and Latin America. Click here to view members of our Antitrust Team.
- Export controls, anti-boycott, and anti-money laundering. We advise clients on the full range of international trade challenges created by domestic and foreign export control laws, sanctions regimes, anti-money laundering regulations, and anti-dumping policies. Our clients include multinational public companies, financial institutions, and international concerns subject to U.S. trade laws. They seek us out because we refuse to adopt a "one size fits all" approach to compliance.
- Healthcare. Our extensive experience in healthcare enables us to identify key compliance issues for our clients and quickly work to develop customized solutions that are not only cost-effective but also practical and efficient. Our attorneys advise clients on the full range of regulatory matters, including compliance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act, the False Claims Act, the Anti-Kickback Statute, the Stark law, and self-referral laws. Click here to view members of our Healthcare Team.
- Environmental. Regulatory and criminal enforcement of federal, state, and local environmental laws and regulations is a continuing government priority. Our attorneys have the necessary technical backgrounds and experience to help our clients achieve their business objectives in a timely and cost-effective manner. We work with our clients in the development and maintenance of environmental compliance programs, permit applications, and remediation programs and help them respond to regulatory and law enforcement inquiries. Click here to view members of our Environmental Team.
- Securities. Our securities attorneys counsel clients on compliance policies and procedures, adequacy of regulatory controls, and other litigation and regulatory review and mitigation strategies. Financial service companies, broker-dealers, investment advisors, fund managers, and public companies routinely call on us for practical advice on how best to tackle their most significant compliance challenges under federal and state securities laws and industry rules.
We regularly work with our clients to develop and strengthen compliance measures that help prevent, detect, and correct potential wrongdoing before it develops into a major threat. We take a life-cycle approach to creating comprehensive compliance programs, where each initiative builds upon best practices while incorporating new information and solutions as they become available. Most significantly, we tailor our compliance and training programs to the specific needs and businesses of our clients. Our programs simplify the law for employees so they can understand the bright-line rules for everyday conduct and recognize situations that call for specific attention and guidance.
White Collar Defense & Investigations
Our White Collar Defense & Investigations attorneys regularly represent individuals and companies before grand juries and in federal and state courts at both the trial and appellate levels. We are a team of experienced trial attorneys who have conducted hundreds of jury trials and investigations in both government and private practice. In addition to a group of career criminal defense attorneys and former Assistant U.S. Attorneys, members of the team include:
- Donald W. Washington, former U.S. Attorney for the Western District of Louisiana
- Pauline F. Hardin, former First Assistant U.S. Attorney and Chief of the Criminal Division of the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of Louisiana
- Michel Nicrosi, former Chief of the Criminal Division of the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of Alabama
- Michael W. Magner, former Supervisor of the U.S. Attorney's Office's Anti-Terrorism/Crisis Response Unit, Organized Crime Strike Force, and Violent Crime Unit; and First Counsel for Emergency Management and Crisis Response in the Office of Director, Executive Office for U.S. Attorneys in Washington, D.C.
We have substantial experience in a broad range of enforcement actions in the United States and worldwide, involving antitrust, civil rights, conspiracy, embezzlement and money laundering, the environment, the False Claims Act, the FCPA, fraud, healthcare, public corruption and bribery, the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO), the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), and whistleblower complaints.
One of our core strengths is our deep experience in handling simultaneous parallel state and federal criminal, regulatory, and administrative proceedings and our ability to draw upon the subject-matter experience of our partners in the areas of banking, energy, environmental, gaming, healthcare, insurance, maritime, and tax, among others.
- Dan Martin to Serve as Co-Presenter at Alabama State Bar CLE Event
- Andy Lee, Pauline Hardin, and Chris Martin Successful in Ending Investigation of Charter School
- Jim Boren Joins Jones Walker LLP
- Jones Walker LLP Corporate Compliance & White Collar Defense Team Recognized for Outstanding Achievements
- "Best Practices in Defending False Claims Act Investigations and Lawsuits"
- Panelist, "Significant Legal Developments in the Region"
- The Judge Allen M. Babineaux International Law Symposium
- "Compliance Programs"
- "Second Circuit Overturns Lower Court's Refusal to Approve SEC Settlement with Citigroup", June 19, 2014