Areas of Practice
- Banking & Financial Services
- Banking & Financial Services Regulatory & Securities
- Corporate & Securities
- Equity & Debt Financing
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- ABA Stonier Graduate School of Banking, 2004
- The University of Alabama School of Law, J.D., 2000, cum laude; Journal of the Legal Profession
- Birmingham-Southern College, B.S., 1997, cum laude
- Alabama, 2000
Rob Carothers is a partner in the firm's Banking & Financial Services Practice Group. His practice is focused primarily in the area of financial institution regulation. He has experience advising state banks, national banks, thrifts, and their holding companies on a wide range of regulatory matters, including:
- Affiliate transactions and compliance with Sections 23A and 23B of the Federal Reserve Act and Regulation W and Anti-Tying Rules
- Applying for CDFI status
- Branch purchases and sales
- Capital-Raising Transactions, including Common Stock and Subordinated Debt Offerings
- Change in bank control issues
- Charter conversions
- Chartering de novo banks
- Compliance with federal and state banking laws and regulations, including the Truth in Lending Act (TILA), the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA), the Truth in Savings Act (TISA), the Bank Secrecy Act, the USA Patriot Act, Regulation O, the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Fair Debt Collections Practices Act (FDCPA), Regulation P, Community Reinvestment Act (CRA), UDAAP, and new mortgage servicing rules
- Counseling troubled financial institutions and assisting with negotiating and complying with regulatory enforcement actions
- Data security issues
- Financial privacy matters
- Forming bank holding companies
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Operational issues
- Secured transactions and Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) issues
For nearly 10 years, Mr. Carothers served as regulatory counsel to a large regional bank holding company with more than $25 billion in total assets. He has also advised numerous community bank clients with respect to various bank regulatory issues. His family has operated a community bank in Winfield, Alabama, for more than 70 years, and he is active with the Alabama Bankers Association and Louisiana Bankers Association.
- Jones Walker LLP Hosts Third Annual Financial Services Conference
- Jones Walker and Performance Trust Capital Partners Co-Sponsor Banking Seminar
- Carothers Authors Article in Alabama Bankers Association BoardBriefs Newsletter
- Jones Walker LLP Hosts Second Annual Financial Services Conference
- Jones Walker Mobile, Alabama Office Relocates
- Jones Walker to Host Banking Seminar in New Orleans and Alexandria
- "Overview of Regulatory Enforcement Process & Proactive Steps to Mitigate Risks", March 24, 2017, Louisiana Bankers Association Oil & Gas Industry Update Conference
- "Common Issues Facing Boards of Directors in Today’s Banking Environment", February 18, 2016, Auburn University Bank Directors' College
- "Bank M&A Update" Seminar, October 15, 2015
- "Bank M&A Update" Seminar, October 13, 2015
- "Basel III and Privacy Issues", March 11, 2015, Bankers Compliance Task Force Meeting
- "Merger of Equals" Seminar, October 15, 2014
- "Potential Benefits of Your Bank Obtaining CDFI Certification"
Alabama Bankers Association BoardBriefs Newsletter, February 12, 2016
- "Dodd-Frank and Basel III: How Do They Impact Capital At Your Bank?"
Banking Traditions, December 1, 2010
- "FDIC Proposes Changes to Risk-Based Assessment System"
Jones Walker Banking & Financial Services E*Lert, April 21, 2010
- "U.S. Department of Treasury's Community Development Capital Initiative"
Jones Walker Banking & Financial Services E*Lert, February 24, 2010
- "Regulatory Guidance on Concentrations in Commercial Real Estate Lending"
North Carolina Banking Institute, March 2007
- "Revisiting Customer Privacy"
Banking Traditions, Community Bankers Association of Alabama, Summer 2005
- Alabama Bankers Association
- Alabama State Bar
- Auburn University Bank Directors College (Member, Steering Committee)
- Gulf Coast Exploreum Science Center (Member, Junior Board)
- Louisiana Bankers Association