Areas of Practice
- Biotechnology & Life Sciences
- Business & Commercial Litigation
- Environmental & Toxic Torts
- Environmental: Litigation
- Products Liability
- Cumberland School of Law, Samford University, J.D., 1979, cum laude; Editor-In-Chief, Cumberland Law Review, 1978-79
- The University of Alabama, B.S., 1975
- Alabama, 1979
- U.S. Supreme Court
- 5th Cir.
- 11th Cir.
- M.D. Ala.
- N.D. Ala.
- S.D. Ala.
Steven F. Casey is a partner in the firm's Business & Commercial Litigation Practice Group and enjoys a diverse practice involving product liability, mass tort, insurance, banking, business and real estate disputes. He has extensive experience in pharmaceutical, toxic tort, electrical contact, environmental, and aviation cases, having completed numerous jury trials. Mr. Casey recently successfully defended a generic pharmaceutical manufacturer in the first failure to warn claim to go to trial in the U.S. involving the drug metoclopramide (Reglan®).
Mr. Casey serves as national counsel for a major pharmaceutical manufacturer in litigation involving several of its products and as regional counsel for many others. He represented those same manufacturers in Average Wholesale Pricing litigation in several states, and has also served as regional counsel for a well-known insurance company in its life, disability, and ERISA claims litigation.
In addition to his litigation practice, Mr. Casey has developed experience in real estate law, and has represented over 60 homeowner associations in virtually all aspects of their operations and formation. He also served as lead counsel for the shoreline management group of Alabama's largest public utility for over 30 years, and has tried numerous eminent domain cases to juries in various Alabama counties.
- Listed in the 2014 edition of Alabama Super Lawyers in the areas of Personal Injury–Products: Defense, Energy & Natural Resources, and Business Litigation (listed annually since 2009)
- Selected as one of the "Top 100 Litigation Lawyers" in Alabama for 2013 by The American Society of Legal Advocates
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015 (Copyright 2014 by Woodward/White, Inc., Aiken, SC) in the areas of Land Use and Zoning Law and Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants (listed annually since 2008)
- Named "Birmingham Best Lawyers Land Use & Zoning Law Lawyer of the Year" 2012
- Named one of Birmingham's "Top Attorneys" 2012 in the area of Civil Litigation by Birmingham Magazine
- Recognized as a "2013 Top Rated Lawyer" in the area of Energy, Environmental and Natural Resources by Corporate Counsel and The American Lawyer magazines
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating in Martindale-Hubbell
- Green v. Morton Grove - successfully defended generic metoclopramide (Reglan®) manufacturer in the first failure to warn case to be tried in the U.S.
- Burch v. Central Alabama Electric Cooperative - obtained defense verdict in double wrongful death case in which decedents' TV antenna contacted overhead electrical facilities
- Obtained successful result in case where plaintiff was burned when his sailboat mast contacted overhead power line of a major investor-owned utility
- All Seasons Heating & Cooling v. Butler Manufacturing - obtained defense verdict in breach of contract/warranty case involving commercial building package
- Lowery v. Butler Manufacturing - obtained successful confidential settlement in three separate cases with over 1,200 plaintiffs alleging property damage inflicted by air emissions from manufacturing facilities
- Hoar Construction v. Butler Manufacturing - negotiated favorable settlement involving claim against supplier of materials used in construction of animation studio at Disney World
- Lombus v. Valley Building Supply - obtained record jury verdict for plaintiff in wrongful death case arising out of motorcycle/flatbed truck collision
- Negotiated successful confidential settlement in wrongful death matter arising out of aviation accident in which pilot and two passengers died
- Jones Walker Attorneys Named to Alabama Super Lawyers 2014
- Casey Quoted in Law360 Article
- Casey and Walsh Obtain Summary Judgment Ruling
- Casey Chosen as President-Elect of the Birmingham Bar Association
- Jones Walker Mobile, Alabama Office Relocates
- Casey and Lester Obtain Favorable Ruling from the Supreme Court of Alabama
- Jones Walker to Host Risk Mitigation for Businesses Seminar in Birmingham, January 23, 2013
- "Don't Give Up on Your Warnings", May 12, 2012
- "Basic Contract Principals Applicable to Homeowners Associations", January 11, 2012
- "Recent Health Care Trends from a Legal and Compliance Perspective", October 4, 2011
- "Recent Developments in Drug Product Failure to Warn Cases", July 21, 2011
- "Dissecting Evolving Claims Against Generic Drugs", December 8, 2010
- "Generic Pharmaceutical Liability - Challenges and Changes"
The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Product Liability 2012 edition, June 2012
- "Adverse Reaction Without a Remedy"
The Alabama Lawyer, January 2012
- "Generic Pharmaceutical Liability - Challenges and Changes"
The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Product Liability 2011 edition, May 2011
- "The Learned Intermediary Doctrine"
Birmingham Bar Association Journal, January 1, 2006
- "Liability of Railroads for Injuries Occurring During Loading & Unloading Railcars"
Railroad Litigator's Notebook, National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel, July 1, 1993
- Alabama Defense Lawyers Association
- Alabama State Bar (Community Education Committee, 2004)
- American Bar Association (Vice Chairman & Newsletter Editor, Product Liability Committee of the Tort & Insurance Practice Section, 1983-1985)
- Birmingham Bar Association (President-elect, 2014; Secretary-Treasurer, 2010–2011; Chair, Judicial Liaison Committee, 2014; Chair, Grievance Committee, 2001; Chair, Law Day Committee, 1985)
- Birmingham Volunteer Lawyers Program (Member, Board of Directors, 2014)
- Christian Legal Society (State Membership Director, 1996–2000; President, Christian Legal Society of Alabama, 1995)
- Cumberland School of Law Advisory Board (2013 to date)
- Cumberland School of Law Adjunct Skills Instructor (2014)
- Defense Research Institute (Vice Chair, Products Liability Committee Aviation & Aerospace Specialty Law Group; Member, Drug & Medical Device Committee)
- Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel (Drug & Medical Device Section; Product Liability Section; Life, Health & Disability Section; Toxic Torts & Environmental Law Section)
- National Institute of Trial Advocacy, Graduate
- Alpha Phi of Theta Chi House Corporation (Former Member, Board of Directors)
- Briarwood Christian School (Former Member, Board of Directors)
- City of Homewood Cable TV Commission (Former Member)
- Covenant Day School (Former Member, Board of Directors)
- Covenant Presbyterian Church, Elder
- Cub Scout Pack 254 (Former Cubmaster)
- Fixed Point Foundation (Member, Board of Directors)
- Homewood Patriots Girls Softball (Former President & Member, Board of Directors)
- Lake Heather Homeowners' Association, Inc. (Former President & Member, Board of Directors)
- Legal Aid Society of Birmingham (Member, Board of Trustees, 2010–2011)
- The Bessemer Classical School (Former Chair, Board of Directors)