Areas of Practice
- Biotechnology & Life Sciences
- Business & Commercial Litigation
- Environmental & Toxic Torts
- Environmental: Litigation
- Products Liability
- Cumberland School of Law, Samford University, J.D., 1979, cum laude; Editor-In-Chief, Cumberland Law Review, 1978-79
- The University of Alabama, B.S., 1975
- Alabama, 1979
- U.S. Supreme Court
- 5th Cir.
- 11th Cir.
- M.D. Ala.
- N.D. Ala.
- S.D. Ala.
Steven F. Casey is a partner in the firm's Business & Commercial Litigation Practice Group and enjoys a diverse practice involving product liability, mass tort, insurance, banking, business and real estate disputes. He has extensive experience in pharmaceutical, toxic tort, electrical contact, environmental, and aviation cases, having completed numerous jury trials. Mr. Casey recently successfully defended a generic pharmaceutical manufacturer in the first failure to warn claim to go to trial in the U.S. involving the drug metoclopramide (Reglan®).
Mr. Casey currently defends major firm clients in defending mass tort claims of widespread mercury exposure and several class actions asserting claims for personal injury, property damage, and water pollution caused by perfluorinated chemicals (PFCs).
Mr. Casey has served as national counsel for a major pharmaceutical manufacturer in litigation involving several of its products and as regional counsel for many others. He represented those same manufacturers in Average Wholesale Pricing litigation in several states, and has also served as regional counsel for a well-known insurance company in its life, disability, and ERISA claims litigation.
In addition to his litigation practice, Mr. Casey has developed a significant niche practice representing over 60 homeowner associations in virtually all aspects of their operations and formation. He also served as lead counsel for the shoreline management group of Alabama's largest public utility for over 30 years, and has tried numerous eminent domain cases to juries in various Alabama counties.
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® as the 2017 Land Use and Zoning Law "Lawyer of the Year" in Birmingham
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2017 (Copyright 2016 by Woodward/White, Inc., Aiken, SC) in the areas of Land Use and Zoning Law and Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants (listed annually since 2008)
- Selected as a 2016 Irish Legal 100 honoree
- Listed in the 2016 edition of Mid-South Super Lawyers in the area of Environmental Litigation (listed annually since 2009)
- Selected as one of the "Top 100 Litigation Lawyers" in Alabama for 2013 by The American Society of Legal Advocates
- Named "Birmingham Best Lawyers Land Use & Zoning Law Lawyer of the Year" 2012
- Named one of Birmingham's "Top Attorneys" 2012 in the area of Civil Litigation by Birmingham Magazine
- Recognized as a "2013 Top Rated Lawyer" in the area of Energy, Environmental and Natural Resources by Corporate Counsel and The American Lawyer magazines
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating in Martindale-Hubbell
- Green v. Morton Grove - successfully defended generic metoclopramide (Reglan®) manufacturer in the first failure to warn case to be tried in the U.S.
- Burch v. Central Alabama Electric Cooperative - obtained defense verdict in double wrongful death case in which decedents' TV antenna contacted overhead electrical facilities
- Obtained successful result in case where plaintiff was burned when his sailboat mast contacted overhead power line of a major investor-owned utility
- All Seasons Heating & Cooling v. Butler Manufacturing - obtained defense verdict in breach of contract/warranty case involving commercial building package
- Lowery v. Butler Manufacturing - obtained successful confidential settlement in three separate cases with over 1,200 plaintiffs alleging property damage inflicted by air emissions from manufacturing facilities
- Hoar Construction v. Butler Manufacturing - negotiated favorable settlement involving claim against supplier of materials used in construction of animation studio at Disney World
- Lombus v. Valley Building Supply - obtained record jury verdict for plaintiff in wrongful death case arising out of motorcycle/flatbed truck collision
- Negotiated successful confidential settlement in wrongful death matter arising out of aviation accident in which pilot and two passengers died
- Jones Walker LLP Attorneys in Alabama and Mississippi Recognized in the 2016 Mid-South Super Lawyers List
- Casey Selected for the 2016 Irish Legal 100
- 123 Jones Walker LLP Attorneys Ranked by The Best Lawyers in America® 2017
- Casey Quoted in Law360 Article
- Casey Obtains Favorable Ruling in Jury Trial in Federal Court
- Casey Speaks at Community Associations Institute Event
- Jones Walker to Host Risk Mitigation for Businesses Seminar in Birmingham, January 23, 2013
- "Don't Give Up on Your Warnings", May 12, 2012
- "Basic Contract Principals Applicable to Homeowners Associations", January 11, 2012
- "Recent Health Care Trends from a Legal and Compliance Perspective", October 4, 2011
- "Recent Developments in Drug Product Failure to Warn Cases", July 21, 2011
- "Dissecting Evolving Claims Against Generic Drugs", December 8, 2010
- "Generic Pharmaceutical Liability - Challenges and Changes"
The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Product Liability 2012 edition, June 2012
- "Adverse Reaction Without a Remedy"
The Alabama Lawyer, January 2012
- "Generic Pharmaceutical Liability - Challenges and Changes"
The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Product Liability 2011 edition, May 2011
- "The Learned Intermediary Doctrine"
Birmingham Bar Association Journal, January 1, 2006
- "Liability of Railroads for Injuries Occurring During Loading & Unloading Railcars"
Railroad Litigator's Notebook, National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel, July 1, 1993
- Alabama Defense Lawyers Association
- Alabama State Bar (Long Range Strategic Plan Task Force, 2016–2017; Community Education Committee, 2004)
- Alabama Supreme Court—Alabama Pattern Jury Instruction Committee: Civil (2016 to date)
- American Bar Association (Vice Chairman & Newsletter Editor, Product Liability Committee of the Tort & Insurance Practice Section, 1983-1985)
- Birmingham Bar Association (President, 2015; President-elect, 2014; Secretary-Treasurer, 2010–2011; Chair, Judicial Liaison Committee, 2014; Chair, Grievance Committee, 2001; Chair, Law Day Committee, 1985)
- Birmingham Bar Foundation (Fellow)
- Birmingham Volunteer Lawyers Program (Member, Board of Directors, 2014 to date)
- Christian Legal Society (State Membership Director, 1996–2000; President, Christian Legal Society of Alabama, 1995)
- Cumberland School of Law Advisory Board (2013 to date)
- Cumberland School of Law Adjunct Skills Instructor (2014, 2015)
- Defense Research Institute (Chair, Products Liability Committee Aviation & Aerospace Specialty Law Group; Member, Drug & Medical Device Committee; Member, Generic Drug Steering Committee)
- Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel (Drug & Medical Device Section; Product Liability Section; Life, Health & Disability Section; Toxic Torts & Environmental Law Section)
- National Institute of Trial Advocacy, Graduate
- Alpha Phi of Theta Chi House Corporation (Former Member, Board of Directors)
- Briarwood Christian School (Former Member, Board of Directors)
- City of Homewood Cable TV Commission (Former Member)
- Covenant Day School (Former Member, Board of Directors)
- Covenant Presbyterian Church, Elder
- Cub Scout Pack 254 (Former Cubmaster)
- Fixed Point Foundation (Member, Board of Directors)
- Homewood Patriots Girls Softball (Former President & Member, Board of Directors)
- Lake Heather Homeowners' Association, Inc. (Former President & Member, Board of Directors)
- Legal Aid Society of Birmingham (Member, Board of Trustees, 2010–2011)
- The Bessemer Classical School (Former Chair, Board of Directors)