Areas of Practice
- Biotechnology & Life Sciences
- Business & Commercial Litigation
- Entertainment Law
- Green Law and Sustainability
- Intellectual Property
- Protecting Eco & Green Intellectual Property
- Venture Capital & Emerging Companies
- Paul M. Hebert Law Center, Louisiana State University, J.D. and D.C.L., 2011, cum laude; Moot Court Board
- Louisiana State University, B.S. in Biological Engineering, 2008, with Honors College distinction
- Louisiana, 2011
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 2009
- 5th Cir., 2011
- E.D. La., 2011
- M.D. La., 2011
- W.D. La., 2011
- E.D. Tex., 2014
Micah Fincher is an associate in the firm's Intellectual Property (IP) section within the Business & Commercial Litigation Practice Group. His practice focuses on both protecting clients' intellectual property rights and defending those accused of infringing others' intellectual property. He also has extensive transactional experience, including leading complex contract negotiations.
Litigation. Mr. Fincher has experience in handling complex patent, trademark, and copyright cases in both state and federal courts and Section 337 investigations before the International Trade Commission. He has represented both IP rights owners and accused infringers. Mr. Fincher helps judges and juries understand complex legal and factual issues, and he has experience litigating issues from diverse technology areas ranging from pharmaceuticals to oil field tools. He is also an author for the Trade Secret Insider, a legal blog committed to providing timely legal insights on trade secrets, non-competes, computer fraud, and data theft.
Protecting IP. Mr. Fincher helps clients protect and maximize the value of their businesses' intellectual property by advising them on all aspects of patent, trade secret, copyright, trademark, and unfair competition law. He has experience preparing and prosecuting applications for copyrights, trademarks, design patents, and utility patents, and he has successfully represented clients in appeals before the former Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences (now the Patent Trial and Appeal Board). He has also has practiced before the USPTO Trademark Trial and Appeals Board in complex trademark cancellation and opposition proceedings.
Mr. Fincher also has extensive experience working with university technology transfer offices, including the IP offices of the Louisiana State University AgCenter, Tulane University, the New Orleans BioInnovation Center, and Louisiana Tech University. He has helped protect both simple and complex inventions and has practical experience with various technology areas, including:
- pharmaceuticals and process design;
- Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems (MEMS) design, modeling, and fabrication;
- biomaterials and biocompatible materials, including hydrogels;
- radio equipment, ranging from radio frequency identification (RFID) tags to mobile phone network switching methods;
- petroleum industry related technologies, including down hole tools and fracturing compositions;
- office equipment;
- solar and green energy related technologies; and
- business methods.
Banking. Mr. Fincher also advises banks, credit unions, and other financial institutions. Sensitive to financial institutions' unique regulatory position, Mr. Fincher creates value for clients by helping them better identify, manage, and minimize risks from vendors and other third parties. With a focus on protecting confidential information and data security, his experience reviewing and negotiating core contracts under strict deadlines helps drive complex negations to completion while advocating for the interests of both his clients and their customers.
Mr. Fincher was awarded his juris doctor degree and Diploma in Comparative Law from the Paul M. Hebert Law Center, Louisiana State University. While he attended law school, he interned with Judge Jay Zainey in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana and worked in the chambers of U.S. Fifth Circuit Judge James L. Dennis.
- Jones Walker Attorneys Participate in LSBA Conclave on Diversity in the Legal Profession
- Jones Walker Welcomes Ten New Associates
- "Secure Your Rights in the New, More Secure '.bank' Domain Registry", March 11, 2015
- "Brand Your Business, Trademark Your Products", November 18, 2014
- "Prosecuting & Defending Trade Secret Violations and Related Claims Against Former Employees", October 2, 2014
- "Recent Changes in Federal Law Encourage Registering Intellectual Property Rights Early"
Pointe Innovation, Summer 2013
- American Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Law Section (2011 to present)
- Litigation Section (2015 to present)
- The A. P. Tureaud American Inn of Court (Associate, 2014 to present)
- Association of University Technology Managers (2015 to present)
- Friends of the Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition (2011 to present)
- The Wex S. Malone Inn of Court (Associate, 2011 to 2014)