Areas of Practice
- University of Alabama at Birmingham, M.B.A. and B.S.
- Not licensed to practice law
Larry Lavender is Director of Government Relations for Jones Walker. Before joining the firm, he served for five years as the Chief of Staff of the Financial Services Committee for the United States House of Representatives, and, prior to that, for five years as Chief of Staff to Congressman Spencer Bachus.
During his tenure with the Financial Services Committee, which spanned the 2008 financial crisis, the Committee considered some of the most significant and far reaching legislation in its history. The Dodd-Frank Act is the most prominent example, but Housing and GSE legislation were also major issues.
In addition to managing the day-to-day operations of the Committee, Mr. Lavender assisted the Chairman and other members in developing policy and legislative strategy, and was the Committee’s principal contact with congressional leadership staff and other committees of the House, particularly when considering cross-jurisdictional issues such as internet gambling, derivatives regulation, and budget authorizations.
As Chief of Staff of the Committee, he interacted extensively with the Executive Branch, the SEC, the CFTC, the Federal Reserve, the FDIC, the OCC, and other regulatory agencies, particularly in the interpretation and implementation of the Dodd-Frank Act.
Mr. Lavender has also communicated extensively with international financial and accounting agencies and regulators, including those of the European Union, China, Israel, The United Kingdom, and several African and Middle Eastern countries. This has included official visits to these and many other nations.
He has spoken and participated on panels for trade associations, think tanks, and regulators, including the Federal Reserve, the Municipal Securities Rule Making Board, the American Enterprise Institute, the American Bankers Association, The Institutional Investors’ Forum, and many others.
Mr. Lavender has been active in the management of political campaigns at the local, congressional district, and state-wide levels. Early in his career, he served for 10 years with the City of Birmingham, Alabama, first as the staff director for the city council and later as the Chief of Staff to the mayor. During that time, he was intimately involved in the city’s financial management, gaining a broad and deep understanding of municipal finance.
Outside the governmental arena, Mr. Lavender has extensive experience in the management of small and medium-sized businesses, having owned and managed several manufacturing companies primarily supplying the heavy truck industry.
- Lavender Speaks at the ABA Business Law Section’s Consumer Financial Services Committee 2017 Winter Meeting
- Jones Walker LLP Hosts Third Annual Financial Services Conference
- Lavender Published in Law360
- Jones Walker LLP Hosts Second Annual Financial Services Conference
- Lavender Authors Article Published on Law360
- Lavender Speaks on CSFI Symposium Panel
- Panelist, "Financial Regulatory Outlook 2017: The Future of the CFPB", January 15, 2017, 2017 Winter Meeting of ABA Business Law Section’s Consumer Financial Services Committee
- Panelist, Coalition for Sustainable Flood Insurance Symposium on the Homeowner Flood Insurance Affordability Act, June 13, 2014
- “Online Gaming: When, Where and How Much?”, May 8, 2013, Southern Gaming Summit