Areas of Practice
- Paul M. Hebert Law Center, Louisiana State University, J.D., 1995
- Louisiana State University in Shreveport, B.A., 1990
- Louisiana, 1995
- Texas, 2005
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2005
- 5th Cir., 1995
- 11th Cir., 2009
- D. Colo., 2014
- E.D. La., 1995
- M.D. La., 1995
- W.D. La., 1995
- E.D. Tex., 2005
- N.D. Tex., 2005
- S.D. Tex., 2005
- W.D. Tex., 2010
Jennifer L. Anderson is a partner in the firm’s Labor & Employment Practice Group and represents employers and management, exclusively, in labor and employment law matters. She is licensed in Louisiana and Texas, and represents publicly-traded and private companies in a variety of industries, with an emphasis in energy, hospitality, and healthcare. Ms. Anderson regularly counsels clients in complying with labor and employment laws, and in the development and administration of sound policies and practices to minimize disputes and litigation. Ms. Anderson drafts and enforces non-competition and non-solicitation agreements, and provides day-to-day advice to clients in the handling of personnel matters. She provides customized employer training programs to educate human resources professionals and managers on best practices, and speaks and writes publicly on many aspects of labor and employment law.
Ms. Anderson defends employers and management before state and federal administrative bodies, such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and U.S. Department of Labor, and serves as lead counsel in the arbitration and litigation of labor and employment disputes at the trial and appeal levels. Ms. Anderson’s practice is focused on wage and hour compliance and litigation, and she has represented employers in more than 40 Fair Labor Standards Act collective actions. She also routinely handles cases brought individually and on behalf of groups of individuals under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, and similar state and federal laws governing employment discrimination, harassment, and retaliation. Her litigation experience also includes defending employers in breach of contract and restrictive covenant claims, and many employment-related tort claims.
- Recognized in "Chambers USA – America's Leading Lawyers for Business" in the area of Labor & Employment (listed annually since 2007)
- Listed in the 2016 edition of Louisiana Super Lawyers in the area of Employment & Labor (listed annually since 2009)
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating in Martindale-Hubbell
- Cheek v. Barnes & Noble Booksellers, Inc., 2008 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 23841, 91 Empl. Prac. Dec. (CCH) P43,166 ( E.D. La., Mar. 26, 2008)
- Vitrano v. Welch Sales & Service, Inc., 2008 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 60933 ( E.D. La., Aug. 8, 2008)
- Harris, et al. v. HKA Enterprises, Inc., 2008 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 60903 ( E.D. La., Aug. 7, 2008)
- Ticheli v. John H. Carter Co., 996 So. 2d 437, 28 I.E.R. Cas. (BNA) 1872, 2008-2 Trade Cas. (CCH) P76,330 (La.App. 2 Cir. 2008)
- Austin, et al. v. Louisiana Generating, LLC, 265 Fed. Appx. 207, 2008 U.S. App. LEXIS 2744 (5th Cir., Feb. 7, 2008)
- Bradford v. Cellxion LLC, 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 67061 ( W.D. La., Sept. 11, 2007), affirmed, 2008 U.S. App. LEXIS 5521 (5th Cir., Mar. 13, 2008)
- Lim, et al. v. Offshore Specialty Fabricators, Inc., 404 F.3d 898 (5th Cir. 2005), cert. denied, 546 U.S. 826, 126 S. Ct. 365, 163 L. Ed. 2d 71 (2005), on appeal after remand, 199 Fed. Appx. 345, 2006 U.S. App. LEXIS 22152 (5th Cir., Aug. 29, 2006)
- Vines, et al. v. University of Louisiana, 398 F.3d 700, 95 Fair Emp. Prac. Cas. (BNA) 144 (5th Cir. 2005), cert. denied, 546 U.S. 1089, 126 S. Ct. 1019, 163 L. Ed. 2d 852 (2006)
- Campbell v. Chevron Phillips Chem. Co., L.P., 587 F. Supp. 2d 773 (E.D. Tex., Aug. 15, 2006)
- Harbuck v. Briggs Equipment, 2006 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 53092 (S.D. Tex., Jul. 31, 2006)
- Ballou, et al. v. Mabey, 124 Fed. Appx. 236, 2006 U.S. App. LEXIS 2204 (5th Cir., Feb. 10, 2005)
- Anderson, et al. v. Orleans Parish School Board, 340 F. Supp. 2d 716 ( E.D. La., Aug. 3, 2004)
- Babin v. Sammons Co., 2003 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 3352 ( E.D. La., Mar. 3, 2003)
- Haase v. Bayou Steel Corp., 783 So.2d 474, 12 Am. Disabilities Cas. (BNA) 969 (La.App. 5 Cir. 2001)
- Chaffin v. John H. Carter Co., 179 F.3d 316, 138 Lab. Cas. (CCH) P33,898, 76 Empl. Prac. Dec. (CCH) PP46,072, 5 Wage & Hour Cas. 2d (BNA) 692 (1999)
- Jones Walker LLP Attorneys in Louisiana Recognized in the 2016 Super Lawyers List
- American Lawyer's 2015 Global Legal Awards recognizes Jones Walker LLP as team member in Global Finance Deal of the Year
- Anderson Quoted in Business Insurance
- Forty-eight Jones Walker Attorneys Rank in Chambers USA 2015
- Louisiana Employment Law Letter Wins General Excellence Award
- Jennifer Anderson Quoted in the Baton Rouge Business Report
- 2014 Jones Walker Labor & Employment Seminars, September 25, 2014 and October 16, 2014
- Baton Rouge Labor & Employment Seminar, June 25, 2013
- New Orleans Labor & Employment Seminar, May 8, 2013
- "Sleeping Giant Wakes: ADAAA Shifts Focus from Disability to Accommodation", December 28, 2011
- "2011 FMLA Master Class", October 19, 2011
- "Mid-Term Congressional Elections Mean Changes, But Not Necessarily The Changes You Want" (Baton Rouge), June 9, 2011
- Co-Author, "Louisiana: Employee's race, national origin claims survive despite dishonesty"
Louisiana Employment Law Letter, October 2015
- Co-Author, "Louisiana radio station can't shake off age discrimination claim"
Louisiana Employment Law Letter, May 2015
- Co-Author, "Louisiana court gives college a lesson in discrimination"
Louisiana Employment Law Letter, March 2015
- "Scheduling, seniority issues, and holiday pay"
Louisiana Employment Law Letter and HR Hero Line, December 4, 2012
- "Effective response to harassment complaint saves employer $500,000"
Louisiana Employment Law Letter, October 2010
- "Tweeting, poking, and blogging - can social media policies help?"
Louisiana Employment Law Letter, January 2010
- "Close call in lawsuit claiming telephone workers weren't independent contractors"
Louisiana Employment Law Letter, November 2009
- "What happens in cyberspace doesn't always stay in cyberspace"
Louisiana Employment Law Letter, April 2008
- Employers Counsel Network
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Cat Haven, Inc
- Board of Directors (2011 to date)
- Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve
- Ombudsman (2003 to date)
- Louisiana Art & Science Museum
- Business Sponsorship Committee (2010 to date)
- Louisiana Sea Grant Law & Policy Program, Louisiana State University
- Advisory Board (2011 to date)
- The Magnolia School, Inc.
- Chairperson (2006 - 2008)
- Board of Directors (2001 to date)