For This PracticeJones Walker Consulting, LLC
- Environmental & Toxic Torts
- Government Relations & Legislative Advocacy
- Labor & Employment
- Public Finance
- Real Estate: Land Use, Development & Finance
We understand that expanding into a new state or region is a challenge—one requiring the experience of attorneys well-versed in economic development law and incentive negotiation. From conception to completion, Jones Walker represents private interests in all aspects of economic development projects. Our broad-based representation begins with a thorough understanding of each project to better serve the goals of the client. We emphasize practical advice, recognizing that today's economic development clients often face difficulties in areas outside traditional finance and development law. In 2008, Southern Business & Development magazine named Jones Walker one of the "Top Ten Firms that Understand Economic Development," an honor reflecting our attorneys' capabilities in this area.
Our attorneys assist businesses with incentives, tax, environmental, real estate, tax credits, tax increment financing, utilities and labor and employment issues. We negotiate custom solutions that are both effective and cost-conscious. Our experienced economic development attorneys employ multiple areas of legal practice with an understanding of tax, public and private partnerships and finance, real estate development, administrative law and government relations to provide clients with innovative options for financing economic development projects.
Some solutions we have engineered for clients include ad valorem tax relief, tax strategies on franchises and sales taxes, economic development districts, economic development corporations, job programs, Enterprise Zone Programs, Federal Renewal Community Status, economic development programs and structures, development agreements, new markets and other tax credits, payroll rebates, equipment tax incentives, worker training programs, community development zones, and infrastructure improvements, as well as federal funding and grant opportunities.
We work closely with in-house and other company counsel; consultants; division, parent, and subsidiary administrators; CEOs; CFOs; tax administrators; human resources personnel; site selection consultants; engineers; architects; and financial advisers. Our longstanding relationships with state and local officials, economic development officials, and national site-selection consultants ensure confidence in negotiating agreements for public-private partnerships.
- One Hundred Twenty-Nine Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015
- Backstrom Presents at the NYU-SCPS 2014 Summer Institute in Taxation
- Ralph Smith Featured Speaker at Association of American Rhodes Scholars Reception
- Jones Walker Mobile, Alabama Office Relocates
- "The Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act - What Bankruptcy Lawyers Should Know"
- "Economic Development Financing"
- Center for Planning Excellence (CPEX) Smart Growth Summit
- "The State of Real Estate in Louisiana: Can You Finance Your Project?"