Areas of Practice
- Business & Commercial Transactions
- Disaster Preparedness & Recovery
- Economic Development
- Energy, Environment & Natural Resources
- Environmental & Toxic Torts
- Green Law and Sustainability
- Real Estate: Land Use, Development & Finance
- Paul M. Hebert Law Center, Louisiana State University, J.D., 1974; Vice President of Senior Class
- Louisiana State University, B.S. in Industrial Management, 1971
- Louisiana, 1974
- E.D. La., 1976
- M.D. La., 1978
- W.D. La., 1994
Rob Scheffy is a partner in the firm's Real Estate Practice Group. He has an extensive commercial real estate practice representing lenders, borrowers, and developers. His work includes extensive title examination; negotiating loan agreements and other collateral documents for lenders and borrowers; and providing counsel to lenders and borrowers on land use issues including zoning, coastal use permitting, Section 404 permitting, and environmental site assessments. Mr. Scheffy previously served as the Associate General Counsel for Mid Louisiana Gas Company from 1974–1977, and later was in private practice before joining Jones Walker.
Mr. Scheffy's energy practice includes the representation of pipeline companies and exploration and production companies in connection with the development, purchase, and sale of producing properties. Most recently, Mr. Scheffy has been involved with matters related to the acquisition and permitting for the storage of natural gas in salt dome caverns and depleted hydrocarbon reservoirs, as well as the acquisition of producing properties.
Mr. Scheffy has extensive experience in connection with the representation of exploration and production companies including title review activities, including preliminary drill site title opinions, division order title opinions, and financing title opinions. Mr. Scheffy has also represented pipeline companies in connection with the acquisition of rights of way and the planning of pipeline alignment.
Mr. Scheffy has also been involved in project development work in connection with commercial real estate development, industrial plant operations, and the development of underground storage facilities. He has provided counsel to clients with regard to developing commercial shopping center sites and residential developments, as well as with structuring the relationships between chemical plants for the sharing of facilities, utilities, and services, and the granting of reciprocal servitudes for operations. He has also worked on the financing of such transactions. Mr. Scheffy has worked on similar arrangements between electrical power generators, exempt wholesale generators, and electrical transmission companies, and has worked on and drafted the necessary servitude (easement) agreements necessary to bring power and/or fuel to such facilities, as well as to deliver product from such plants. In providing such advice, he has been involved in land use planning issues, environmental regulatory issues, and financing issues involving commercial real estate projects, industrial projects, and power generation projects.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013 (Copyright 2012 by Woodward/White, Inc., Aiken, SC) in the areas of Energy Law, Natural Resources Law, and Oil & Gas Law (listed annually since 2005)
- Named "Baton Rouge Best Lawyers Energy Law Lawyer of the Year" 2013
- Listed in the 2012 edition of Louisiana Super Lawyers in the area of Energy & Natural Resources (also listed in 2011)
- AV® Peer Review Rating in Martindale-Hubbell
- Co-counsel for landowner group in the matter Trancontinental Gas Pipeline Corporation v. Terrell, et al, 416 So. 2d 571 (La. App. 1 Cir. 5/25/1982), writ denied, 421 So. 2d 249 (La. 1982) relating to issues involving valuation of permanent easment and severance damages.
- Co-counsel for Exxon Pipeline Company v. Hill, 788 So. 2d 1154 (La. 05/15/01), a landmark case in determining the fair market value of property taken in by expropriation for purposes of pipeline rights of way.
- Twenty-Two Jones Walker Attorneys Receive "Lawyer of the Year" Honors from The Best Lawyers in America® 2013
- One Hundred Twenty-Four Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013
- Fifty-Six Jones Walker Attorneys Named to Louisiana Super Lawyers 2012
- Eighty-Two Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2012
- Forty-Two Attorneys Named to Louisiana Super Lawyers 2011
- Seventy-Three Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2011
- "Shale Development Mineral Leases and Production – New Challenges for Title Insurance, Commercial Lending and Development", February 2013
- 2012 Oil & Gas Workshop, November 15, 2012
- "Selected Title Issues Encountered in the Haynesville Shale Play and Other Shale Plays", September 28, 2012, BRAPL 2012 Fall Seminar
- "The Carbon Capture Continuum—From Study and Production to Capture and Consumption", July 23, 2009
- Real Estate Breakfast Briefing, December 15, 2006
- "Selected Title Issues Encountered in the Haynesville Shale Play and Other Shale Plays"
- "New Construction Codes"
E*Lert, January 11, 2007
- "Rapanos, Carabell and Where Do We Go From Here?"
E*Lert, June 26, 2006
- American Bar Association (Member, Sections of Environment, Energy and Resources, Real Property, Probate and Trust Law)
- Baton Rouge Association of Petroleum Landmen (Founding Member and Founding Board Member; Current Board Member)
- Baton Rouge Bar Association (Past President, Young Lawyers Section)
- Baton Rouge Property Lawyers Association
- Commonwealth Land Title Insurance Company (Approved Agent)
- First American Title Insurance Company (Approved Agent)
- Licensed as a Louisiana Title Insurance Agent
- Louisiana Bank Counsel Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association, Baton Rouge Bank Counsel Association (Member, Section of Mineral Law; Past Council Member, Section of Mineral Law, LSBA; Member, Section of Trusts, Estate, Probate & Immovable Property Law; Member, Section of Environmental Law; Member, Section of Corporate & Business Law)