Areas of Practice
- Washington and Lee University School of Law, J.D., 1984, cum laude; President, Phi Delta Phi; Washington and Lee Law Review
- University of Mississippi, B.B.A., 1980, cum laude; President, Omicron Delta Kappa; President, Beta Alpha Psi
- Mississippi, 1984
Tommy Shepherd is a partner in the firm’s Business and Commercial Transactions Practice Group. As an accomplished gaming attorney, he served as President of the International Association of Gaming Advisors (IAGA) in 2014.
Tommy represents major casino companies, Native American tribes, manufacturers, suppliers, and financial institutions regarding all matters relating to the development, financing, licensing and operation of gaming and resort facilities. His extensive experience in such matters includes public-private leases, financings, land use approvals, statutory and regulatory interpretation and compliance, gaming operations, and administrative hearings. He regularly serves on panels and speaks at national and international gaming conferences. Mr. Shepherd’s clients include many of the largest gaming operators, gaming equipment manufacturers, suppliers, and tribal operators in the world, as well as major private equity and investment banking firms and large commercial lenders involved in secured and unsecured lending, and debt offerings and bond offerings in connection with the development of various gaming projects.
Prior to being elected as President of IAGA, he served on IAGA's Board of Trustees. For 2011 and 2017, Mr. Shepherd was also selected as the "Jackson, MS Best Lawyers Gaming Law Lawyer of the Year" and in 2011, as "Lawyer of the Year in Mississippi" by the Mississippi Business Journal.The firm publishes the Gulf States Gaming Law Blog at: www.gulfstatesgaminglaw.com.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2017 (Copyright 2016 by Woodward/White, Inc., Aiken, SC) in the areas of Corporate Law and Gaming Law (listed annually since 2001)
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® as the 2017 Gaming Law "Lawyer of the Year" in Jackson, MS
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® as the 2011 Gaming Law "Lawyer of the Year" in Jackson, MS
- Listed in "Chambers USA – America's Leading Lawyers for Business" in the area of Corporate/Commercial: Gaming & Licensing (listed annually since 2003; Gaming & Licensing Nationwide recognition since 2016)
- Leadership Jackson (2000–2001)
- Leadership Mississippi
- Mississippi Business Journal, Leadership in Law, Mississippi's Top 50 Attorneys (2011)
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating in Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed in the 2016 edition of Mid-South Super Lawyers in the area of Gaming (listed annually since 2012)
- Named "Mississippi Attorney of the Year" by the Mississippi Business Journal (2011)
- Listed in The International Who’s Who of Sports & Entertainment Lawyers 2015 (listed annually since 2013's 1st edition)
- Special counsel to the private equity purchasers in the largest acquisition in the history of the gaming industry
- Special counsel to the private equity acquirer of two casino hotels in Tunica County, Mississippi
- General counsel to a $40 million gaming greenfield development project in Natchez, Mississippi
- Special counsel to the purchaser in a $280 million gaming acquisition in Biloxi, Mississippi
- Special counsel to the lenders in a $175 million loan to a greenfield casino and hotel development in D’Iberville, Mississippi
- Special counsel to the lenders in a $100 million loan to a gaming company for the redevelopment of a casino hotel in Biloxi, Mississippi
- Special counsel to the lenders in the acquisition of a casino in Hancock County, Mississippi
- Special counsel to the sellers of a casino in Greenville, Mississippi
- Special counsel to a gaming company emerging from bankruptcy owning a casino hotel in Tunica County, Mississippi
- Special counsel to a gaming company emerging from bankruptcy owning a casino hotel in Vicksburg, Mississippi
- Special counsel to a publicly traded gaming company acquiring another publicly traded gaming company owning a casino hotel in Vicksburg, Mississippi
- Special counsel to the private equity purchaser of a gaming manufacturer and distributor
- Special counsel to the lenders in a $500 million loan to a gaming company in connection with existing indebtedness refinancing and the acquisition of a casino hotel in Biloxi, Mississippi
- Multi-state gaming counsel in a $1.2 billion acquisition of a manufacturer and related financing
- Special gaming finance counsel to an international manufacturer in the billion dollar acquisition of a Class II gaming manufacturer
- Creditor's counsel in casino bankruptcy in Biloxi, Mississippi
- Mississippi counsel to a publicly traded gaming company in connection with a $5 billion sale and leaseback transaction with a public REIT
- Purchaser’s counsel in connection with the acquisition of a casino hotel in Bossier City, Louisiana by an Indian tribe
- Shepherd Published in Law360
- Jones Walker Gaming Partners are Contributing Authors to International Comparative Legal Guide to: Gambling 2017
- Jones Walker LLP Attorneys in Alabama and Mississippi Recognized in the 2016 Mid-South Super Lawyers List
- 123 Jones Walker LLP Attorneys Ranked by The Best Lawyers in America® 2017
- 50 Jones Walker Attorneys Ranked in Chambers USA 2016
- Shepherd published in Law360
- "Legal Ethics; Professionalism; Substance Abuse: A Primer for Lawyers"
American Bar Association, 20th Annual Gaming Law Minefield Conference, February 12, 2016
- "A Skill-Based Game: What is the Best Model?"
National Council of Legislators from Gaming States, January 9, 2016
- "U.S. Casino Growth: The Legal Complexities of Growth vs. Competition"
ABA's 19th Annual Gaming Law Minefield Conference, February 12, 2015
- "Executive Roundtable"
2014 Southern Gaming Summit , May 8, 2014
- "The Comment Period: The Public’s Role in Gaming"
Global Gaming Expo (G2E), September 25, 2013
- "Tribal Gaming Legal/Regulatory Update"
2013 Southern Gaming Summit , May 9, 2013
- Author, Mississippi Chapter, International Comparative Legal Guide to: Gambling (3rd ed. 2017)
- Author, "Top 11 Mississippi Gaming Stories of 2015"
Law 360, January 6, 2016
- Author, Mississippi Chapter, International Comparative Legal Guide to: Gambling (2nd ed. 2016)
- Author, Mississippi Chapter, International Comparative Legal Guide to: Gambling (1st ed. 2015)
- Co-Author, "Regulation of Activist Investors in the Gaming Industry"
Casino Enterprise Management, December 1, 2014
- Co-Author, Mississippi Corporations - Formation and Operation (4th ed. 2004)
- Author, Mississippi Chapter, International Casino Law (3rd ed. 1999)
- American Bar Association (Member, Business Law Section, Gaming Law Committee)
- Federal Bar Association (Member, Indian Law Section)
- International Association of Gaming Advisors (Board of Trustees, 2001 to date; President 2013–2014; Vice President 2012–2013; Secretary 2011–2012; Treasurer, 2010–2011; General Counsel, 2009–2010)
- Leadership Greater Jackson Board of Trustees (Member, 2010–2012)
- Mississippi Bar Foundation (Fellow)
- Mississippi Secretary of State Business Law Advisory Group (Chairman, 2000–2007)
- Mississippi Secretary of State's Business Reform Committees (Co-Chairman, Corporations Law Committee, 2008 and 2011)
- National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws Mississippi Commissioner (1992–1996)
- Rotary Club of Jackson (President, 2010–2011)
- The Mississippi Bar (Chairman, Section of Gaming Law, 1996–1997; Chairman, Section of Business Law, 1994–1995)
- St. James’ Episcopal Church (Vestry, served two terms; Junior Warden, 2017)