- Baton Rouge
Boyd Bryan is a partner in the Corporate Practice Group. He focuses on environmental law matters, including regulatory compliance, permitting, defense of enforcement actions, environmental aspects of transactions and financing, project development, and environmental litigation.
Boyd represents industrial and commercial clients in a wide range of environmental matters, drawing on decades of experience in the environmental field. His experience includes:
- Regulatory compliance advice, including counseling regarding reporting and emergency response requirements
- Permitting under the Clean Air Act Title V and PSD programs, the Clean Water Act, the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) solid and hazardous waste programs, and the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), and corresponding state laws such as the Louisiana Environmental Quality Act and Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality (LDEQ) and Louisiana Department of Natural Resources (LDNR) regulations, including Section 404 wetland permits and coastal use permits, and public trust analyses
- Defense of lawsuits and other actions, including petitions to object filed with US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), challenging or opposing the issuance of environmental permits
- Defense of agency enforcement actions, including negotiations with EPA, the US Department of Justice (DOJ), the US Coast Guard, the US Army Corps of Engineers, LDEQ and other agencies regarding compliance orders, penalty assessments, and regulatory interpretations
- Handling of transactions involving environmental issues, including environmental due diligence in mergers and acquisitions, environmental site assessments and compliance audits, negotiation of representations, warranties, and indemnities, and transfers of environmental permits
- Advice regarding property remediation, including the LDEQ Risk Evaluation/Corrective Action Program (RECAP) and state voluntary cleanup programs
- Superfund actions under the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA), including participation in and negotiations with potentially responsible party (PRP) groups
- Prosecution and defense of lawsuits seeking remediation of property, recovery of response costs, and related damages
- Environmental insurance coverage issues
- Defense of oilfield site restoration (legacy) lawsuits
Boyd also has significant experience in environmental planning and project development, as well as real estate, zoning, and land use matters. He has represented clients before parish and city governments and committees of the Louisiana legislature. Boyd has also represented the Louisiana Municipal Natural Gas Purchasing and Distribution Authority, d/b/a the Louisiana Municipal Gas Authority (LMGA), in connection with natural gas prepay bond financing transactions, pipeline matters, NAESB contracts, and general operations, contracting, and public meeting matters.