Areas of Practice
- Business & Commercial Transactions
- Economic Development
- State & Local Tax
- State & Local Tax Resource Center
- Tax & Estates
- Tax & Fiduciary Litigation
- Transactional Tax (Federal & International)
- New York University, LL.M. in Taxation, 2001
- The University of Mississippi School of Law, J.D., 1994
- Delta State University, B.B.A. in Accounting, 1991
- Louisiana, 1997
- Mississippi, 2001
- Tennessee, 1996
John Fletcher is a partner in the firm's Tax & Estates Practice Group and practices from the Jackson office. With more than twenty years' experience in the legal, corporate, and accounting arenas, his practice focuses on state tax controversies and incentives, which encompass multi-state income, franchise, sales, use, Mississippi contractors, and local ad valorem taxes.
Mr. Fletcher has assisted his clients on a broad range of federal income tax issues, new markets tax credits, and federal tax appeals. His practice also includes a wide variety of non-tax legal services, including legal entity formation and maintenance, business mergers and acquisitions, commercial real estate leasing, gaming regulation, and general business contractual issues.
Prior to joining Jones Walker, Mr. Fletcher worked as State Tax Counsel at General Electric Company (GE), where he oversaw many of GE's state income and franchise tax audits and appeals across the country. These appeals covered a wide range of complex statutory and constitutional issues applicable to large multi-state and multi-national companies, and have encompassed GE's traditional industrial manufacturing operations, as well as the financial and media/entertainment industries related to the GE Capital and NBC/Universal businesses. He often assisted GE's State and Local Tax planning group with major acquisitions and dispositions, and provided legal support to its property tax team in appeals and litigation matters. While at GE, he also served as an adjunct professor at the Albany (NY) Law School, teaching State and Local Tax Law.
While pursuing his LL.M. in Taxation at New York University, Mr. Fletcher was a member of KPMG's State and Local Tax practice in New York City. He is also a Certified Public Accountant (inactive) in Tennessee, a member of the American Bar Association's State and Local Tax Subcommittee, and a member of the Council on State Taxation (COST).
- Fletcher Presents at ABA Tax Section's Midyear Meeting
- Fletcher Publishes Article in IPT Tax Report
- State and Local Tax Partners to Speak at Hartman Forum
- Adams and Fletcher Present at IPT Annual Conference
- Fletcher Speaks on Issues for Foreign Affiliates at IPT Advanced State Income Tax School
- SALT Team Speaks at TEI State and Local Tax Seminar
- "Mississippi Tax Update", January 17, 2014
- "2013 Louisiana State & Local Tax for Texans", October 17, 2013, Four Seasons Hotel
- "RAR Reporting for State Purposes", June 25, 2013, IPT 37th Annual Conference
- "State Tax Issues for Foreign Affiliates", June 3, 2013, Advanced State Income Tax School - Institute for Professionals in Taxation
- "Early Morning Ethics Coffee Talk: Ethical & Professional Challenges Facing State Tax Professionals", May 21, 2013, COST 2013 Spring Audit Session/Income Tax Conference
- "Mississippi Tax Update", May 21, 2013, New Orleans Chapter of Tax Executives Institute, Inc. State and Local Tax Seminar
- "Mobility Medical, Inc. v. Miss. Dept. of Revenue: Mississippi's Win-At-All-Costs Litigation Strategy Completely Rewrites History and Nature of the State's Sales Tax (And That's Bad News for All Involved"
Tax Report, October 2013
- American Bar Association (Member, State and Local Tax Subcommittee)
- Council on State Taxation