Areas of Practice
- Business & Commercial Transactions
- Economic Development
- State & Local Tax
- State & Local Tax Resource Center
- Tax & Estates
- Tax & Fiduciary Litigation
- Transactional Tax (Federal & International)
- New York University, LL.M. in Taxation, 2001
- The University of Mississippi School of Law, J.D., 1994
- Delta State University, B.B.A. in Accounting, 1991
- Louisiana, 1997
- Mississippi, 2001
- Tennessee, 1996
John Fletcher is a partner in the firm's Tax & Estates Practice Group and practices from the Jackson, Mississippi office. With more than twenty years' experience in the legal, corporate, and accounting arenas, his practice focuses primarily on state tax matters, encompassing Mississippi, Louisiana and multi-state income, franchise, sales, use and local ad valorem taxes.
Mr. Fletcher also has assisted his clients on a broad range of federal income tax issues and appeals, and his practice has included a wide variety of non-tax legal services, including legal entity formation and maintenance, business mergers and acquisitions, commercial real estate leasing, and general business contractual issues.
Prior to joining Jones Walker, Mr. Fletcher was State Tax Counsel at General Electric Company ("GE"), where he oversaw many of the company's state income and franchise tax audits and appeals across the country. These appeals covered a wide range of complex statutory and constitutional issues applicable to large multi-state and multi-national companies, and encompassed the company's traditional industrial manufacturing operations, as well as the financial and media/entertainment industries related to the GE Capital and NBC/Universal businesses. He often assisted GE's State and Local Tax planning group with major acquisitions and dispositions, and provided legal support to its property tax team in appeals and litigation matters.
While at GE, Mr. Fletcher also served as an adjunct professor at the Albany (NY) Law School, teaching State and Local Tax Law, and regularly presents at national conferences on a wide range of state tax issues.
Earlier in his career, Mr. Fletcher was a member of KPMG's State and Local Tax practice in New York City while pursuing an LL.M. in Taxation at New York University. Mr. Fletcher earned his Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting from Delta State University, where he currently serves on the Alumni Association Board of Directors, and his Juris Doctor at The University of Mississippi School of Law. He is also a Certified Public Accountant (inactive) in Tennessee, is active with the Mississippi Economic Council and Mississippi Manufacturer's Association. He is also a member of the American Bar Association's State and Local Tax Subcommittee, the Institute for Professionals in Taxation ("IPT"), and the Council on State Taxation ("COST").
- Awarded IPT's 2014 Sales Tax Article of the Year
- Fletcher Receives IPT Sales Tax Article of the Year Award
- Fletcher Quoted in The Clarion Ledger
- Fletcher Quoted in State Tax Notes
- Fletcher Presents at ABA Tax Section's Midyear Meeting
- Fletcher Publishes Article in IPT Tax Report
- State and Local Tax Partners to Speak at Hartman Forum
- "State Tax Issues for Foreign Affiliates" and "Advanced Problems in Mergers & Acquisitions", June 2014, IPT Advanced State Income Tax School
- "Special Issues in Apportionment and Allocation", May 2014, COST 2014 Intermediate/Advanced State Income Tax School
- "Equifax and HB 799 – Where Are We Now and Where Are We Going?", May 2014, Mississippi Bar Assocation, Taxation Section
- "Burden of Proof and the Impact of the Equifax Decision in Mississippi", April 2014, COST Spring Audit Session
- "Mississippi Tax Update", January 17, 2014
- "State Taxation of Pass-Through Entities and Their Owners", January 2014, American Bar Assocation Section of Taxation, Midyear Meeting
- "Equifax in Mississippi: What Are The Practical Implications for Taxpayers?"
Institute for Professionals in Taxation, February 2014
- "Mobility Medical, Inc. v. Miss. Dept. of Revenue: Mississippi’s Win-At-All-Costs Litigation Strategy Completely Rewrites the History and Nature of the State’s Sales Tax"
Institute for Professionals in Taxation, October 2013
- "Power Up! Mississippi Offers New Incentives for Manufacturing, Industrial and Agricultural Users of Power"
Jones Walker e-Bulletin, May 2013
American Bar Association (Member, Executive Committee, State and Local Tax Committee of Tax Section)
Council on State Taxation
Delta State University National Alumni Association (Member, Board of Directors)
Institute for Professionals in Taxation
Louisiana State Bar Association
The Mississippi Bar
Mississippi Economic Council (Member, Board of Governors)
Mississippi Manufacturers Association (Member, Tax Committee)
Mississippi Society of Certified Public Accountants
Tennessee Bar Association